Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fondant a Love, Hate Relationship

This is a cake I made last week for a friends son.  He wanted Toy Story, specifically Toy Story 3 because his favorite character is Evil Dr. Porkchop.  When doing a cake I always try to search the internet for ideas.  For this all I came up with was either you have buy the characters or make them out of fondant.  I have had VERY little experience with Fondant.  I have used it a couple times on cakes, but more to just cut out circles, or letters or somethings.  I have never tried to really make something out of it.  I have used homemade and Wilton store bought as well, and I agree with what most say....store bought tastes just awful.  Plus I have to go to Wal-Mart to get it and I don't always have the time to drive 20 miles to get it.  Also, it comes in rather large packages.  Last time I bought it and used not even a 4th of it.  So, I did my best at making fondant characters for this cake.  I had some technical difficulties with the fondant, and learned that I am really not that great at doing hands and faces!!  My fondant dried out waayyyy to quick while I was working with it so I need to address that. However, all that mattered was that this great little guy liked, which he did!! Afterall, you only turn 6 once!  Today I shall begin to attack a baby shower cake ordered by another friend.  Again, there will be fondant..... I have spent some time researching fondant though this week and hopefully figured out where I can improve the things I had trouble with.  Hopefully.  Wish me luck.  You will know how it turn out if you see a picture of it in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment